Korakis – Marinos
The course steps of the Korakis – Marinos Company are originally identified with the course of the life of Panagiotis Korakis.
Panagiotis Korakis, a Chian sugar and crust products importer and trader, decided around 1935 to expand his enterprise in the field of sweet preserves.
There was plentiful raw material. The Chian orchards with the well-known citrus fruit an sugar and crust that he himself traded. The first shop was set up near the Vounaki sq., in the area that the Homerion Cultural Center of Chios is now located. Initially, Panagiotis Korakis offered baklavas, kataifi, and his famous quince mash mellow.
The company, against the odds, will remain productive during the II World War. When the war ended, the shop was moved in Venizelou Str. From then on the sweet preserves will be systematically produced and recognized not only in Chios but all over Greece.
The success is due to Panagiotis Korakis. He based the production of the sweet preserves, the concentrated juices and the mastiha jam on Chian traditional recipes. Himself always managed to supervise the lab for the proper making and quality of his products. The homemade recipes and the consumers’ trust are the main reason for the success.
In the beginning, the products were sold in bulk. Then the sweets were put in can containers. Later beautifully designed jars were used which, up till now, are constantly being improved aesthetically and practically. After 1950 the company will continue to be developed and broaden the variety of its products. Panagiotis Korakis with his daughters.
The great changes will occur after 1985 when Irene Korakis, the daughter of Panagiotis Korakis, and her husband Dimitris Marinos take over the company. A new factory was constructed in the area of Kontari, while in 1989 the new, modern, privately owned factory in Chalkios in the Municipality of Kambohora started to operate.
The factory has the advantage of being near the area where many of the delicious fruits, used as raw material, are produced, while it not only has the most contemporary and modern technological equipment but also employs a highly trained scientific and technical staff. In the factory, there has been a systematic division in the sectors of production, packaging, and storage while a special program is applied to the production line in order to secure hygiene and quality.